Metallic Colored Vinyl…and other vinyl adventures
We here at vinyl.com received an email from a reader asking for either GOLD, SILVER, or GLOW-IN-THE-DARK records. Very interesting, so I think I will clear up any misconceptions about getting the color you are after. I can tell you right now that here at vinyl.com, we only have 11 titles that fit this description and they all CLEAR GOLD in color.
Here are some decriptions:
1) there is the CLEAR GOLD VINYL (most common)
2) there is a GOLD METALLIC VINYL, more like a solid bronze actually
3) there is what I would describe as a trophy GOLD or chrome GOLD (what a record company usually gives a band as a GOLD RECORD AWARD.)
1) there is (actually very popular with heavy metal bands) a SILVER METALLIC solid color or some would call it GRAY VINYL.
2) there is a chrome looking vinyl (in my 50,000+ collection, I only have one of these and it’s very easy to locate used. It is by Triumph and called “Rock And Roll Machine” 1977 Attic Records Canada Ltd.) This is what a record company usually gives a band for platinum sales.
3) there is also a sorta SILVER VINYL looking 2 LP set by The Mars Volta from 2004? called De-Loused In The Comatorium? It is actually a double Picture Disc made to look like a flying saucer I’d say?
Man, in my huge collection, only 4 pieces come to my mind that I own. They are
1) Penetration~Moving Targets 1978 Virgin UK
2) the oh-so-rare-now Sublime 2LP called “40 Oz. To Freedom”
3) a 1995? double LP from France by Reel Big Fish (record #1 is a Picture Disc, record # 2 is glow-in-the-dark.)
4) last but not least is a 1995 LP by Siouxsie & The Banshees called “The Rapture.” It is totally forgotten now and was very indulgent, if not a weak LP.
And there you have it…I’m surprised that many other Goth groups, Alice Cooper, the Misfits and even KISS didn’t do glow-in-the dark records. It’s quite amazing. Wow! Can you imagine the KISS, MISFITS, ALICE COOPER catalogs re-issued on 180 gram glow-in-the-dark vinyl. They sure would sell.
Glow-In-The-Dark records (as a fact), do NOT sound good at all. Penetration pretty much broke up and left Virgin records because their debut LP sounded terrible and skipped on the glow-in-the dark vinyl and they weren’t told by Virgin that it was coming out that way. Luckily (after trying 4 copies), I have an original that plays pretty good.
For our customers, here is a list of the 11 titles that we have on CLEAR GOLD VINYL:
1) LINK WRAY~JACK THE RIPPER (180 gram GOLD)
2) THE CATALINAS~FUN, FUN, FUN (180 gram GOLD)
3) JOHNNY CASH~THE ORIGINAL SUN SINGLES (2 LP 180 gram GOLD) (hurry!)
4) THE METERS~1st LP on Josie (GOLD)
5) THE METERS~LOOK-KA-PY PY (GOLD)
6) THE METERS~STRUTTIN (GOLD)
7) DR.JOHN~GRIS-gris (GOLD)
8) DR.JOHN~IN THE RIGHT PLACE (GOLD)
9) IRON BUTTERFLY~IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA (GOLD)
10) ROY AYERS UBIQUITY~EVERYBODY LOVES THE SUNSHINE (GOLD)
11) THE VELVET UNDERGROUND~AND NICO (SOLID BRIGHT GOLD MARBLE), very beautiful